Thursday, August 13, 2009

Does a Mustard Slather Affect Taste?

Several people have asked me if the yellow mustard slather gives the meat a bitter or mustard flavor. No, it does not. In fact, you will not be able to tell that it was used, other than the other positive effects it has. Among those effects are moisture retention and a more flavorful and intense "bark". The "bark" is the dark outer layer of meat that forms on barbecue due to the caramelizing of the natural sugars in meat. A plain mustard slather is often used as a base for applying a dry rub. Various other seasonings (garlic, herbs, spices, etc.) can be blended into the mustard that will add flavor to the final product, if one so chooses. A Google search for 'mustard slather' will provide you with lots of information, as well as showing you just how common this practice is. Give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. The roast with mustard is GREAT, and no it doesn't taste like mustard it is wonderful! The next one I want to try (another one that I thought OH MY) is the ribs with the grape juice. I already have my grocery list made. I do the shopping…mom does the cooking. Love you Sis

    ReplyDelete